Barking & Dagenham Community Cohesion Conference
The Bishop of Barking, Peter Hill and Zahra Ibrahim from Barking & Dagenham Somali Women’s Association (BDSWA) will co-Chair this important community cohesion conversation with our partners East London Citizens Organisation (TELCO), and Big Society CIC to explore issues of common concern and to initiate a community-led initiative.
The Conference will explore issues around community cohesion and engagement, civil society and youth violent crime and community safety, The Deputy Leader of the Council, Councillor Saima Ashraf, will give the keynote speech.
BDSWA is an active participant in a collaborative effort by Citizens UK to establish a permanent alliance of civil society organisations acting together for the common good in Barking & Dagenham.
BDSWA has been funded by Near Neighbours Common Good Fund, which aims to build friendships, inter-community and faith connections, increase levels of trust and mutual support. The event includes launching new Community Cohesion projects. http://www.bdcommunitycohesion.org/
Doors open and refreshments will be served from 5.30pm. The conference starts promptly at 6pm.
5:30 Arrival, Registration & Refreshment
6:00 Introduction and opening of the event – Zahra Ibrahim
6:05 Setting the Scene – Bishop Peter Hill
6:15 Aspirations for Barking & Dagenham – Cllr S Ashraf
6:25 Building Relationship in the Community – Geraud
- Meet and greet someone you don’t know and share your aspirations for Barking and Dagenham (simple & interactive)
- Ermal Kirby
6:50 Young People – Nathan Singleton
7:00 Community Cohesion Project: Stronger together – Mark Ereira-Guyer
7:10 Table Discussions
- What’s working; What’s not working; What do you want to see a change in the future for:
- Young People & Education – Nathan from LifeLine & Rebekah (Teach first);
- Affordable Housing and Regeneration in Barking & Dagenham.
7:40 Facilitators Feedback
7:45 Next steps for the Community Cohesion Project?
- Listening training – Tuesday 25th July, Excel Women’s Centre, 6:30 – 7:45 pm
- Each organisation commits to doing a number of face-to-face conversations by the end of September.
- We will come back together to share findings of listening on Tuesday 10th October, 6:30 7:45 pm, Barking Methodist Church(TBC)
7:55 Close – Zahra Ibrahim